This month’s free time was spent learning Rust programming language. Having completed a few large C++ projects in the past it was interesting to dive into a new “modern” system programming language which is safety and performance oriented.
A few thoughts after finishing the course:
- C++ is a huge mess comparing to Rust, which is clean and elegant. I don’t have any experience in the wild to confirm this though.
- rust still depends on C toolchain to compile code.
- It’s damn fast, almost C speed.
- It’s realatively new (around 10 year old?) so there’s not much good tooling available. There is no great IDE like Visual Studio for C++ (whatever you say, it’s the best one). I personally love IntelliJ Rust plugin.
- Learning new language and writing it down using mind maps is actually really helpful. Easy to get an overview what I have learned and remind myself quickly.
Sharing the mind map of Rust notes here (infinitely scalable SVG).
To contact me, send an email anytime or leave a comment below.